Border crossings by Venezuelans fleeing to the United States from their South American country plummeted in the first week of a U.S. policy to expel them to Mexico without an opportunity to seek asylum, U.S. and Mexican officials said Friday.
Biden administration officials said about 150 Venezuelans were crossing the border from Mexico daily, down from about 1,200 before the policy was announced Oct. 12.
Biden administration officials said Venezuelans were generally being expelled under a public health rule known as Title 42, which suspends rights to seek asylum under U.S. and international law on grounds of preventing the spread of COVID-19. The White House expanded the policy to expel Venezuelans to Mexico despite an effort earlier this year to end Title 42, which has stayed in effect under a court order.
While barely a week old, the crackdown on Venezuelans had immediate affect what had become a serious challenge for the Biden administration. Venezuelans were the second-largest nationality to cross the border illegally from Mexico in August, with another sharp increase in September to more than 33,000.
Even as that official event unfolded, migrants continued to cross the Suchiate River between the two countries on inner-tube rafts, but most quickly turned themselves in to Mexican agents.
المملكة العربية السعودية أحدث الأخبار, المملكة العربية السعودية عناوين
Similar News:يمكنك أيضًا قراءة قصص إخبارية مشابهة لهذه التي قمنا بجمعها من مصادر إخبارية أخرى.
First Nations, environmentalists tired of stonewalling over Kootenays selenium probe – Terrace StandardFirst Nations, environmentalists tired of stonewalling over Kootenays selenium probe
اقرأ أكثر »
Zac Brown Band cites border issues in cancelling Friday night Vancouver showThe band was due to perform at Rogers Arena Friday night, and released a statement on Facebook that afternoon
اقرأ أكثر »
RCMP still unsure how Indian family who froze to death crossing border made it to ManitobaInvestigators believe the family\u0027s travels to Canada, as well as their attempt to cross the border, were part of a human smuggling network
اقرأ أكثر »
First Nations angered by delays in joint probe of cross-border contamination from coal mines | Globalnews.caFirst Nations and environmentalists say they are angry the federal and B.C. governments continue to stonewall U.S. requests for a joint investigation of contamination from mining.
اقرأ أكثر »
'This is war': Newly released court documents show police concerns over Coutts, Alta., protestPortions of court documents unsealed today related to the border blockade at Coutts, Alta., in February show police were worried about the level of violence that could unfold.
اقرأ أكثر »
Canada-U.S. Nexus dispute ‘should be an easy one to resolve’: industry minister - National | Globalnews.ca'I would say this should be an easy one to resolve, because after all, this is about making sure that the border is as fluid as possible,' he said.
اقرأ أكثر »